Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Buddhist monk? Miracle?

October 13, 2013
Dear everyone!
 
First off, last week my email title made no sense and I didn't realize that until I was trying to fall asleep that night. Solid. Anyway, explanation! "Policemen don't need to be stylish" or whatever. So although Sister Lee and I have finally figured out how to communicate with each other, we still have those moments when we totally miss each other. For example, I was talking to Sister Lee (in Korean) about how I think Korean glasses are so much better than American glasses. They're stronger, cheaper, and more stylish. She was not agreeing at all, and I didn't understand why. Finally, she says in broken English, "Policemen don't need to be stylish!" Yup. Solid.
 
So this past week was my birthday!!! Which was fun, but at the same time, just an ordinary day. We spent most of the morning and afternoon in our apartment actually studying (which we do every morning) and then weekly planning (which takes about 3 hours). Then we had English class. We bought a cake, and we partied with the elders which was actually really fun! Our ward has the best elders. :) They brought me two huge bags of my favorite Korean candy, which was super sweet of them! I was actually really impressed they even knew and remembered what it was! 10 gentlemen points, right there!
 
This week has been full of little miracles, but I'm only going to mention a few of them. Yesterday, we were supposed to meet an investigator at a subway station, but they never showed up. (That wasn't the miracle, in case you were wondering...) Anyway, there were a couple women from another church passing out fliers. A man approached us and asked if we were from their church. We explained we weren't and told him a little about our gospel. He was SO interested. As sister missionaries in our specific mission, we're not allowed to approach men, but he approached us! That was the miracle. We got his contact information, and he agreed to meet with us and the elders to learn more!
 
Another miracle: Yesterday, we walked into the hallway after church and there was a nonmember man and a Buddhist monk standing in the middle of the foyer. What. The. Heck. He had the shaved head and monk clothes and everything. Apparently, he wanted to learn English! The nonmember man had attended our English classes in the past and told the monk we would teach him because we are kind, service-loving people. And the monk is interested in our gospel. HOW THE HECK DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN!?!?!?! I have no idea. But Heavenly Father does. I can't wait to see what happens!
 
There have been SO many other miracles this week, I can't even list them! Like meeting an investigator who lives an hour away about 50ft outside our apartment door the morning after she prayed to know if God wanted her to meet with us?! How does that even HAPPEN?!?!?!? It's such a blessing to be able to see how God is working in our area.
 
One of the most exciting things about this week was General Conference. We were able to watch it in English, thank goodness. :) And every speaker was so inspired and guided through the Spirit. Just hearing the speakers, my testimony grew SO much that God speaks today! He loved His children back in the days of the scriptures, and He loves us just as much now! Why would He ever stop communicating with us?! He wants to speak to us, to guide us, to comfort us, and He does. We just have to be willing to listen with faith and with an open heart. God speaks NOW! I KNOW IT! I love this gospel with my whole heart, and I KNOW it is true. God lives, and I love Him more than I can express. And that's why I'm on a mission.
 
I love you all!
 
Love,
Sister Bonney