Thursday, October 10, 2013

"But policemen don't need to be stylish..."

October 6, 2013
Dear everyone!
          I hope you are all doing well and getting excited for Halloween! Halloween does not exist in Korea, but all the foreign missionaries are having fun planning "Harvest Parties" for our area's members. I'm actually really going to miss Halloween... But that's irrelevant! And I can't spell anymore. Bear with me.
          Anyways, our area is actually slowly starting to pick up the pace! We have a special investigator named Katie (that's her English name). She and her daughter Annie lived in San Diego, CA for 2 years where Katie studied TEOFL. They speak PERFECT English. She never speaks Korean with me. Ever. They started coming to our English classes about 2 weeks ago, and that also includes our Bible class where we discuss Bible stories in English. She came with so many questions about the gospel. She had been found and taught by missionaries in CA, but had never accepted the gospel. She's struggling to believe in God, but her desire to believe is so fervent and so strong. She approaches US to talk about the gospel. She wants faith so badly, and I know it will come as she seeks earnestly. We're doing our best to follow the Spirit as we help her!
            Having a Korean companion has been fun and interesting. Korean and American culture is SO different, and so sometimes having a Korean companion is ... interesting. It's just as frustrating to my companion to have a foreigner as her companion too, but it's really helped me to understand the Korean people and Korean culture which I know will be a great blessing as I serve these people. Also, Korean is amazing. The Lord has blessed me so much. I can speak and understand incredibly well for a second transfer missionary, and I know it's all Heavenly Father cause I am NOT this gifted. (Especially with Korean. Cause Korean's just totally backwards.) Sometimes I'm afraid that because I am doing so well with the language I'm going to get called to train or be senior companion soon, but for now, I'm just going to speak Korean. And I love it.
            This work is real! The more I serve here, the more I love the people and am able to see how much Heavenly Father manifests His love for us in so many ways. This gospel is true!
Love,
Sister Bonney